|Published:||Aug 20, 2012 6:47 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 20, 2012 6:51 PM EDT|
LEHIGH ACRES, Fla. - An 83-year-old couple was robbed by a thief with a knife, who also forced them to drop him off at an area hotel.
John Pankavich and his wife, Joan, say they were sleeping Sunday morning when a man woke them up in their bedroom around 4:00 a.m.
The couple says the suspect, 33-year-old Brett Wentela, waived a knife at them inside their Thompson Avenue home, holding the couple at knifepoint for four hours.
According to an arrest report, Wentela took $600 in cash, a $600 laptop, a $500 class ring and six pairs of boxer shorts.
Deputies say the suspect then forced the couple to drive him to the Wonderland Motel in North Fort Myers.
A detailed description by the Pankavichs and other witnesses led investigators to Wentela, who is being charged with kidnapping and home invasion with a weapon.
- FMPD IDs victim in fatal shooting, suspect search continues
- Charlotte deputies ID body found in burned garage
- Police find 2 bodies inside West Palm Beach school
- Fla. school tells students to drop online classes
- 2 children remain hospitalized after near drowning incidents
- Judge sends N. Fla. man to prison for life
- Poll: Rubio gets negative marks on immigration
- School board approves new superintendent's contract
- Dr. Joseph Burke's Last Day as Superintendent
- Judge reads charge against Zimmerman to jurors