|Published:||Aug 17, 2012 3:15 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 17, 2012 6:41 PM EDT|
COLLIER COUNTY, Fla.- Collier County Sheriff's deputies arrested Vernon Watkins and Gerald James on Thursday, after they allegedly led officers on a six-minute, high-speed chase.
The pursuit began when deputies noticed the vehicle that the suspects were driving, a red, Monte Carlo, had extremely dark window tinting. Deputies first noticed the vehicle in the area of Sunset Rd. and Sunshine Blvd., but the suspects weren't apprehended for another three miles.
The vehicles reached speeds of 75 mph. A total of five stopped signs were run along the way.
The chase ended when the suspects' car past through the stop sign at 50th Terrace SW and Coronado Pkwy., striking a vehicle towing a trailer with a 4-wheeler on it. The Monte Carlo spun and stopped.
The driver, Vernon Watkins, was taken into custody and began to cry when speaking with officers.
A passenger, Gerald James, was also taken into custody.
A remaining juvenile passenger from the back seat was questioned and told deputies that he was sleeping in the backseat when the pursuit began. He said that when he awoke, James was driving. At one point, James and Watkins switched seats, thought James denied ever driving.
- LCSO investigates a death at Edison State College
- Human remains found on Shell Point Blvd.
- Cape woman suffers serious burns after morning kitchen fire
- Ohio cop, wife face child neglect charge in Fla.
- Dr. Burke gives last speech before retirement
- Investigators: suspect lit flares in attic of Gateway home
- Lee Dept. of Health offers free pool testing kit
- FCAT writing results show improvement for Lee students
- Collier deputies arrest 12 y/o girl for library bomb threat
- Fla. woman meets son she gave up for adoption