|Published:||Aug 16, 2012 1:17 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 16, 2012 1:17 PM EDT|
ENGLEWOOD, Fla.- Two Charlotte County Sheriff's patrol cars were nearly hit by a drunk driver early this morning in Englewood. The driver was arrested and tests showed he was four-times over the alcohol limit. Robert Wayne Whittle, 28, of 2116 Massachusetts Avenue in Grove City, was arrested.
Two road deputies were approaching San Casa Drive and 10th Street at 2:08 a.m. A Toyota pickup make a very wide turn nearly hitting one of the patrol cars. The pickup continued down 10th Street and then almost hit the second cruiser. The driver was also not wearing a seatbelt and a traffic stop was finally made.
Whittle stumbled out of his pickup and apologized for nearly hitting the patrol cars. He said he was coming from Mookey’s Bar where he had three shots and three beers, and was on his way home. He failed the various tests, was arrested for DUI, and then transported to the Charlotte County Jail where he blew .324 and .331 on breathalyzer equipment. Due to his being four times over the .080 limit, he was then transported to Charlotte Regional Medical Center, treated for acute alcohol intoxication, medically cleared, and returned to the County Jail around 7 a.m. Whittle posted a $1,500 bond and has been released.
- Deputies find body at scene of Pt. Charlotte house fire
- FMPD arrests women caught on camera stealing lotto tickets
- Woman faces DUI charges after crash involving 6 children
- 4 Collier Co. children involved in 2 near drowning incidents
- Chrysler agrees to recall of Jeeps at risk of fire
- Top choice drops out of consideration for Lee Co. Manager
- DCF investigates Cape Coral infant's death
- Storage unit swiper targets Cape Coral facility
- LDAS seeks information regarding 2nd recent cat shooting
- Car crashes into store on Golden Gate Pkwy.