|Published:||Aug 16, 2012 3:06 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 16, 2012 5:57 PM EDT|
LEE COUNTY, Fla.- Call them the Bagel Boys: 19-year-old Joey Giambalvo and his cousin, 23-year-old Vinny Minichino. They learned the bagel business from Joey's father in Cape Coral, and now are owning and running their own bagel shop.
"This is my college," says Joey Giambalvo. "I got out of high school and had a choice of working or going to college. Then this opportunity came up, and I could not pass it up."
Joey owns Stuff a Bagel on Pine Island Rd. in the Cape. Vinny is the general manager of the shop. The two cousins start work at 2:00 a.m., six days a week. They make everything from scratch. They often work 14 hours a day.
"It is so much hard work, that is what really surprised us. So much to do, so many details and ordering of food items. It never ends, even when the shop is closed," said Vinny Minichino.
Customers love seeing Joey hard at work, at an age when many of his peers are focused on partying or just hanging out.
"I love to see kids making it in business. This is a great thing that they are doing," said Steve Simon, as he finished a snack at Stuff a Bagel.
Joey says he hopes that hard work now will pay off in future years.
"I hope we can maybe take it easier in later life and relax a bit. Now we are young and have the energy and stamina to do it. But later, we can maybe take it a bit easier," he said.
- Deputies find body at scene of Pt. Charlotte house fire
- FMPD arrests women caught on camera stealing lotto tickets
- Woman faces DUI charges after crash involving 6 children
- 4 Collier Co. children involved in 2 near drowning incidents
- Chrysler agrees to recall of Jeeps at risk of fire
- Top choice drops out of consideration for Lee Co. Manager
- DCF investigates Cape Coral infant's death
- Storage unit swiper targets Cape Coral facility
- LDAS seeks information regarding 2nd recent cat shooting
- Falling tree impales Fla. man doing yard work