|Published:||Aug 15, 2012 5:33 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 15, 2012 6:45 PM EDT|
PUNTA GORDA Fla.- 29-year-old Melissa Bailey has been sitting in a Charlotte County courtroom all week. Bailey is being charged with six counts of capital sexual battery on an 18-month-old toddler. Authorities allege that Bailey along with then boyfriend Glenn Nelson abused the child and documented the abuse with videos and web chats.
Prosecutors wasted no time today in showing the jury some of the evidence that has been deemed too vulgar for us to report. The state's star witness, computer forensics detective Keith Depersia with the Charlotte County Sheriff's Office, read some of the text messages he found on six seized computers.
"I only got one pic baby, Tough Girl 83. Well, first I will send you another one that I just took, hon," Depersia read to the jury today.
Jurors also saw dozens of pornographic images before the prosecution rested. The defense shot back with their only witness, Sarasota Psychiatrist Dr. Donald McMurray. He testified that brain surgery left Bailey with the diminished ability to judge right from wrong.
"She certainly had mental defeciencies at that time," McMurray told the seven-panel jury today.
Both sides rested their cases and Judge John Drurea sent the jury home with the direction that they should expect to hear closing arguments tomorrow and they should also expect to be deliberating the case by early tomorrow afternoon.
If found guilty, Bailey could face life in prison.
Nelson already pled out to similar charges and is currently serving a sentence for his crimes.
- Annual 'Red, White & BOOM!' celebration comes to an end
- WINK News gets Collier call center employees back pay
- Four Lee County Schools will have extended hours in January
- Cape Coral Elks Lodge forced to shut its doors
- Red drift algae could pile up on SWFL beaches in 2014
- Closing of Fla. power plant will take 60 years
- Teacher accused of having relationship with student
- Collier Co. begins looking for land to build soccer complex
- Man bitten by shark in foot in Cocoa Beach
- Two dead in Lehigh Acres, LCSO seeking person of interest