|Published:||Aug 15, 2012 6:00 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 16, 2012 11:16 AM EDT|
PUNTA GORDA, Fla.- A fatal accident closed US 17 (Duncan Road) in Punta Gorda on Wednesday evening.
The Florida Highway Patrol has reported that the crash involved a semi-truck and a KIA Sportage.
The semi-truck was stopped on US 17, possibly due to a mechanical failure. The hazard lights were activated. The KIA did not notice the stopped truck until it was too late.
The passenger of the KIA, 56-year-old Walter Kujawinski, was pronounced deceased as the scene at 5:40 p.m. The driver of the KIA was transported to Charlotte Regional Medical with serious injuries.
The passenger of the semi-truck was transported to Lee Memorial Hospital with serious injuries.
- Annual 'Red, White & BOOM!' celebration comes to an end
- Elderly Naples man accused of molesting special needs teen
- Mother accused of doing 'whippets' while baby was present
- Woman takes wallet left at Walmart, uses debit card
- G. Weaver Hipps Elementary collects supplies for foster kids
- 'Magic' Johnson to speak at Quality Life Center fundraiser
- Lee County school board votes to make school day longer
- Family surprises neighbors with 'Random Acts of Kindness'
- Caretaker allegedly takes more than $11,300 from victim
- 3 Miami-Dade officers shot, 2 suspects killed