|Published:||Aug 15, 2012 6:56 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 15, 2012 6:56 PM EDT|
LEE COUNTY, Fla.- Detectives with the Traffic Homicide Unit of the Lee County Sheriff's Office believe a third vehicle may have been involved in a crash that caused the death of a man earlier this month. Evidence uncovered during the investigation indicates a third vehicle, possibly blue in color, may have left the scene with front end damage.
Detectives are asking anyone who saw the crash scene to call Corporal Lenny Gould at (239) 477-1000
The crash occurred on Monday, August 6, 2012 at 4:42 p.m. on State Road 82 at Rue Labeau Circle.
Original Release 8/8/12:
On Monday, August 6, 2012, the Lee County Sheriff’s Office received a call of a vehicle crash with serious injures near the intersection of State Road 82 and Rue Labeau Circle in Lehigh Acres. Due to the nature of the incident, a Traffic Homicide Detective with the Lee County Sheriff's Office Traffic Unit responded to investigate.
The preliminary investigation revealed a 2000 Lincoln Town Car was traveling westbound on State Road 82 and a 2010 Toyota Prius was traveling eastbound on State Road 82. The driver of the Town Car lost control of his vehicle and crossed left of center into the path of the Prius. The driver of the Prius took evasive action but was unable to avoid the impact, striking the Town Car in the driver side door. This impact caused both vehicles to rotate and come to final rest in the eastbound lanes of State Road 82.
The driver and passenger of the Prius were taken to Lee Memorial Hospital with serious but non-life threatening injuries.They are identified as:
Deborah Kay Cowans, (DOB 05/09/1955), 2618 Brewton Court, Clearwater, FL (Driver)
Bessie Philips Robinson, (DOB 04/30/1944), 9730 Taylor Rose Lane, Seminole, FL (Passenger)
Cowans has been treated and released and Robinson remains hospitalized.
The driver and only occupant of the Town Car was transported to Lee Memorial Hospital with serious life-threatening injuries. He died the following day as a result of the injuries he sustained in the crash. He has been identified as:
John Thomas Simpson (DOB 04/10/1994) 155 Duke Avenue South, Lehigh Acres FL
- Man linked to Pt. Charlotte accused in wife's death
- 2 Cape Coral men accused of battery on an FHP officer
- Punta Gorda victim of theft follows and detains suspect
- Woman allegedly threatened to shoot man as he walked his dog
- 3 headliners cancel music performances at SeaWorld
- Lottery sales suspended at stores raided for illegal drugs
- NTSB releases preliminary report on Fla. jet crash
- CCSO: no reason to believe accused murderer heading to SWFL
- 3 people killed in Florida Panhandle boat crash
- Man who rescued motorcycle rider, killed in crash on Friday