|Published:||Aug 12, 2012 11:34 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 12, 2012 11:53 PM EDT|
CAPE CORAL, Fla. - It was a night of recognition and celebration for Southwest Florida's local businesses and musicians.
Spot magazine and the Dixie Roadhouse in downtown Cape Coral came together to host the first-ever Spot Magazine Awards.
"If local businesses stick with local businesses and support local business, the socioeconomic impact is overwhelming. It really defines an area," said Brian Colando, co-owner of Spot Magazine.
Lisa Pavy, owner and editor of Spot Magazine, searches out the best talent in Cape Coral, Fort Myers, and Naples.
"Just those little hole in the wall places that you don't hear about but they deserve to get just as much notoriety as everybody else," Pavy said.
Now, the very best in arts and entertainment are being given the red-carpet treatment.
"We're hoping that a lot of people come out to support all the local musicians, the local establishments, and to just give them a cheer and a clap for all they do to make our area shine," she said.
With the help of more than 25,000 readers , the magazine narrowed a list with over 50+ categories to groups like Love In War, the winner of Best Original Rock Band.
"Throughout our time and travels, we found that local businesses sometimes just don't get enough notoriety," Pavy stated.
She hopes to make this an annual celebration.
- Woman takes wallet left at Walmart, uses debit card
- Annual 'Red, White & BOOM!' celebration comes to an end
- Redmond: Man charged with spreading HIV wants case dropped
- Mother accused of doing 'whippets' while baby was present
- Lee County school board votes to make school day longer
- Caretaker allegedly takes more than $11,300 from victim
- A feud between fire and EMS could soon come to an end
- WINK News gets Collier call center employees back pay
- Four Lee County Schools will have extended hours in January
- Cape Coral Elks Lodge forced to shut its doors