|Published:||Aug 10, 2012 4:03 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 10, 2012 6:39 PM EDT|
CAPE CORAL, Fla.- On Wednesday around 4:40 p.m., Cape Coral Police responded to Coral Trace Health Care, located at 216 Santa Barbara Blvd S., after a shotgun was located in the facility.
An administrator showed officers a black, sawed-off, shotgun on the floor in her office, saying it was found in the graphics copy room.
The Sears and Roebuck, 12-gauge shotgun had its barrel sawed-off to approximately 12 inches and was not loaded.
One of the employees found the gun standing upright in the corner, behind the entry door to the graphics room, when he went to shut the door for privacy. He said he picked it up by the handle and walked directly across the hall to the administrator's office to turn it in. He had no knowledge of who or where the gun came from, only that he found it as at about 3:30 p.m.
Upon investigation, police found that the entry door into the graphics copy room is rarely shut. The last known time the door would have been moved to where someone would have easily seen the gun, would have been approximately three weeks ago when the carpets were cleaned. There are no surveillance cameras at the location.
The administrator said the front main lobby doors are secured after business hours and while open, the front lobby desk is always maned. No reports of suspicious persons had been given to her over the past few weeks. No one was identified as a disgruntled employee to report at this time.
No other items of concern were located by police.
The gun was not listed as stolen when its serial number was investigated.
- No one hurt in North Fort Myers mobile home fire
- Hancock Bridge Pkwy near US 41 still closed Thursday morning
- Lehigh family wants schoolbus back
- School bus catches fire in Lehigh Acres
- Rescuers work to herd stranded whales away from SWFL shore
- Oma's Heart to give out last vouchers for holiday toys
- Legal fate of FSU quarterback to be answered
- EXCLUSIVE: Watlington family looking ahead, but still grieve