|Published:||Aug 10, 2012 12:26 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 10, 2012 6:42 PM EDT|
LEE COUNTY, Fla.- Billy Ray Retherford stole Gregory Imhoff's cell phone after he killed him. The Lee County Sheriff's Office says the evidence positively confirms his connection to the murder. It was collected from Retherford's body after deputies shot and killed him Wednesday morning.
The Lee County Sheriff's Office said the two had never met before the fatal encounter. Imhoff worked as a home watcher while residents were away.
Investigators say while Retherford was on the run, he was squatting at the home in Sabal Springs. When Imhoff came to check on the home, both of the men were surprised, and Retherford shot and killed Imhoff.
Retherford was also suspected in the murder of 55-year-old Debra Striano. His nephew, Dustin Jaye, is still behind bars, also accused in Striano's death.
- Cape city workers find small mobile meth lab in the woods
- Cab driver saves family from mobile home fire
- Boil water notice in effect after N. Ft. Myers main break
- Officials: 35 pilot whales moving in deeper water
- Attorney: Winston relieved no charges in sex case
- FMPD arrests 3 teenaged vehicle burglary suspects
- A song from behind bars: An unlikely story
- EXCLUSIVE: LeeTran driver speaks after possible bus shooting
- Fla. man charged in boy death eyed in 2nd killing
- Owner tracks stolen boat to Mexico