|Published:||Aug 10, 2012 12:26 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 10, 2012 6:42 PM EDT|
LEE COUNTY, Fla.- Billy Ray Retherford stole Gregory Imhoff's cell phone after he killed him. The Lee County Sheriff's Office says the evidence positively confirms his connection to the murder. It was collected from Retherford's body after deputies shot and killed him Wednesday morning.
The Lee County Sheriff's Office said the two had never met before the fatal encounter. Imhoff worked as a home watcher while residents were away.
Investigators say while Retherford was on the run, he was squatting at the home in Sabal Springs. When Imhoff came to check on the home, both of the men were surprised, and Retherford shot and killed Imhoff.
Retherford was also suspected in the murder of 55-year-old Debra Striano. His nephew, Dustin Jaye, is still behind bars, also accused in Striano's death.
- Suspects in San Carlos Park home invasion caught
- FHP releases final report on deadly Alligator Alley Accident
- How you can help tornado victims in Oklahoma
- Charlotte detectives look for suspect in credit card fraud
- Judge steps down in Watlington vs. McGregor Baptist case
- Fort Myers Florist launches DIY wedding flower sessions
- Company offers extra protection to gun owners
- Vandals cause damage at St. Leo's Catholic church
- Mote Marine asking people to keep eye out for whale sharks
- Englewood man arrested on child pornography charges