|Published:||Aug 10, 2012 12:26 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 10, 2012 6:42 PM EDT|
LEE COUNTY, Fla.- Billy Ray Retherford stole Gregory Imhoff's cell phone after he killed him. The Lee County Sheriff's Office says the evidence positively confirms his connection to the murder. It was collected from Retherford's body after deputies shot and killed him Wednesday morning.
The Lee County Sheriff's Office said the two had never met before the fatal encounter. Imhoff worked as a home watcher while residents were away.
Investigators say while Retherford was on the run, he was squatting at the home in Sabal Springs. When Imhoff came to check on the home, both of the men were surprised, and Retherford shot and killed Imhoff.
Retherford was also suspected in the murder of 55-year-old Debra Striano. His nephew, Dustin Jaye, is still behind bars, also accused in Striano's death.
- Family hospitalized after eating meat with LSD
- CCSO: Woman uses stolen credit card to buy TV
- Fmr Cape resident accused of attempted sex trafficking
- Music Man Redux - Teacher needs instruments for good cause
- Scammers call Charlotte County residents claiming to be CCU
- Alva students arrested for gun, caught with ammo day before
- SUV sinks into hole in Cape Coral construction project
- Neighbors saw red flags ahead of animal cruelty arrest
- Indictment accuses SWFL residents of human smuggling
- Fort Myers Beach Shrimp Festival returns