|Published:||Aug 10, 2012 6:00 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 10, 2012 6:00 PM EDT|
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) - Florida Republicans took in more than $9 million in the crucial run-up to this year's primary elections.
That's significantly more than the Florida Democrats, who reported raising nearly $2.2 million during the last two months.
Both the Florida Democratic Party and Republican Party of Florida on Friday filed fundraising reports that cover donations from April 1 to early August.
One of the biggest donors to the Republicans came from Progress Energy, which gave $560,000 in cash and also helped paid for a party event.
Democrats received help from corporations such as Disney, U.S. Sugar, AT&T, Florida Power & Light as well as money from several unions.
Both parties also received donations from companies involved in a push to bring casino gambling to Florida.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Thirteen People arrested during sobriety checkpoint.
- Pilot taken to hospital after Plane crashes in Collier
- City Tavern Relaunches with Help of Celebrity Chef
- Shots fired during family bbq.
- Police: Officer fatal shooting 'premeditated'
- LCSO searching for battery suspect
- Florida blueberries are a growing field
- 1 skydiver dies, another injured in Florida
- Panhandle Counties plan to spend oil spill funds
- Shooting under investigation