|Published:||Aug 08, 2012 3:16 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 09, 2012 2:21 PM EDT|
LEE COUNTY, Fla.- More than 100 students are scrambling to find classrooms, after a management company agreed to close the Milburn Academy Charter School in Fort Myers. Students are trying to find space in other high schools in the area.
"Upset and mad. That's how some of us are feeling about it," said Gloria Claros, who was going to start her senior year of high school at Milburn.
"It's not fair. One night's notice is not right," said Angie Pettit, another student at Milburn.
The school board made an agreement with a management company, after an investigation shows some students at the charter got academic credits, they did not earn. The school district allowed the company to keep a Lehigh Acres location, open. If the agreement had not been reached, the board was poised to revoke the charters for the management company.
"There were some mistakes made, no doubt about that," said Principal Earl Barnett. "But we were improving. It is sad to see the looks on the faces of the students, very disappointing. But we will help them find other places for their education."
The school board allowed the Fort Myers academy sister school in Lehigh Acres, to stay open for the next year. The school district will monitor the Lehigh charter very closely, to make sure there are no similar problems with academic credits.
Eight teachers and adminstrators worked at Milburn in Fort Myers. The parent company of the charters is Catapault Learning.
- 2 Cape Coral men accused of battery on an FHP officer
- Cape PD warns residents of housing scam
- Man linked to Pt. Charlotte accused in wife's death
- 3 dead after plane crashes into Jacksonville pond
- Holiday event raises funds for non-profit spay/neuter clinic
- Florida skydiver falls with tangled parachute
- Woman allegedly threatened to shoot man as he walked his dog
- 3 headliners cancel music performances at SeaWorld
- Lee County Sheriff's deputies investigating copper theft
- Big storm dumps snow on East Coast, travel dicey