|Published:||Aug 07, 2012 10:45 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 07, 2012 10:45 AM EDT|
PANAMA CITY BEACH, Fla. (AP) - Authorities say an Alabama man was fatally struck by lightning while carrying his stepson on a Florida Panhandle beach.
The Bay County Sheriff's Office says James Keith Brown of Chelsea, Ala., and his family had been staying in a boat anchored off Shell Island. They were walking on the beach Monday when the weather deteriorated.
The sheriff's office tells The News Herald (http://bit.ly/NklsHi ) that Brown began carrying 14-year-old Tristan Berger on his back because the teen had a cast on a broken ankle.
Brown's wife told deputies that she heard a loud crack and turned around to see her son and husband lying in the sand. Brown was pronounced dead at the scene. Berger was hospitalized in Pensacola.
The National Weather Service says it's Florida's second lightning-related fatality this year.
Information from: The News Herald, http://www.newsherald.com
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- LCSO finds, arrests North Fort Myers murder suspect
- Suspect in Lehigh double murder located in WY
- Man pays down 76 layaway orders at Fla. store
- Attorney blasts investigation into FSU's Winston
- FMPD arrests 32 suspected drug dealers
- 2 transported by helicopter after serious crash on SR 776
- LCSO searched for missing 29 y/o Bonita man
- USPS to deliver mail in SWFL on certain Sundays
- Naples based St. Matthew's House expanding to Labelle
- Corrections officer accused of stealing inmate IDs