|Published:||Aug 06, 2012 1:57 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 06, 2012 1:58 PM EDT|
FORT MYERS, Fla.- An overnight murder in Fort Myers brought the total for the city in 2012 to 16.
The victim is 23-year-old Ernest Zigler. Police say he was shot dead outside a convienent store on Fowler Street.
Fort Myers Police have cleared the scene and the store is open for business as usual, but around 11:00 p.m., it was swarming with police after Zigler and another man were shot in the parking lot.
Officers were called the the scene after gun fire rang out in the parking lot. Once the first two officers arrived on scene, they found Zigler lying on the sidewalk near Fowler and Simpson Streets. The officers began doing CPR, but it was too late and he was prounced dead at the scene.
Meanwhile, another man, 21-year-old Antwan Thomas was driven to Lee Memorial Hospital by a friend with non-life threatening gun shot wounds. Thomas was also at the scene.
What transpired moments before the shooting is still under investigation.
Fort Myers Police did release a picture of the suspect's car, taken from surveillance video. The car is described as a new model, gold, Toyota Camry with factory wheels and dark tinted windows.
Anyone with information about this crime is urged to call FMPD or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-780-TIPS.
- Lee County pursuit ends in crash in Collier County
- Fort Myers man arrested in road rage shooting incident
- New video shows Hohensee's anger
- FMPD arrests 10 on drug charges, looking for 9 more
- Beware of Memorial Day scams aimed at military personnel
- Gearing up for summer with Memorial Day travel
- Community comes together for Safety Fair & 5k
- Request to exhume remains from panhandle school rejected
- Communications satellite launched into space
- Fort Myers Dog Show takes over Lee Civic Center