|Published:||Aug 01, 2012 11:17 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 02, 2012 6:35 AM EDT|
MARCO ISLAND, Fla - A Marco Island woman is behind bars accused of forging prescriptions, forging patient signatures and getting medications free of charge, only to sell them to patients.
Wednesday, Marco Island Police arrested Joyce Crain, the president of Prescriptions 4 Hope. The non-profit helps patients who are poor and uninsured get prescription medications.
Joyce Crain and her husband Larry live at 1517 Caxambus Court on Marco Island.
Wednesday Marco Island Police searched her home and found more than $120,000 worth of non-scheduled prescription drugs, forged prescriptions using local doctors signatures, and evidence that Crain received monetary payments from patients who received medications from her.
Police also found a small amount of prescription medication classified as controlled substance inside her home.
Police say Crain also operated a business, Collier County Health Services, under a fictitious name.
The Marco Island Criminal Investigation Services - Unit for Unlicensed Activity had been conducting an ongoing investigation regarding the Joyce Crain and regarding Prescription Fraud, Forgery and Identity Theft.
The investigation is ongoing and additional criminal charges are pending.
- LCSO investigates a death at Edison State College
- Human remains found on Shell Point Blvd.
- Cape woman suffers serious burns after morning kitchen fire
- Ohio cop, wife face child neglect charge in Fla.
- FCAT writing results show improvement for Lee students
- Investigators: suspect lit flares in attic of Gateway home
- Collier deputies arrest 12 y/o girl for library bomb threat
- Lee Dept. of Health offers free pool testing kit
- Burglary suspect casually takes items from unlocked vehicle
- Fla. woman meets son she gave up for adoption