|Published:||Aug 01, 2012 12:00 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Jul 31, 2012 6:09 PM EDT|
LEE COUNTY, Fla.-One suspect has been arrested in the murder of Debra Striano. Another suspect is still at large.
On Tuesday, July 24th, at 10:34 p.m., the Lee County Sheriff’s Office responded to 17691 Oakmont Ridge Circle, Fort Myers. Upon arrival, deputies discovered 55-year-old Debra Rose Striano inside her home, the victim of a very violent death. Her pet dog, a border collie, was also found with serious injuries requiring veterinary care. It's believed the dog sustained wounds when trying to protect Ms. Striano.
The incident was ruled a homicide and numerous Detectives with the Major Crimes Unit worked continuously and tirelessly to identify the person or persons responsible for the brutal murder. With leads developed from the community, combined with evidence collected, two suspects were developed. They are identified as Dustin Dean Jaye, age 23, and his uncle 42-year-old Billy Ray Retherford Jr., both of of 7621 Morgan Jones Drive in North Fort Myers, Florida. Detectives have learned the pair targeted the victim's residence because of valuables they knew were inside.
This afternoon, Dustin was located and taken into custody without incident in North Fort Myers. He faces charges of Felony Murder, Home Invasion Robbery and Destruction of Evidence.
A warrant has been issued for felony violation of probation for Billy Retherford Jr. Charges related to the homicide investigation are pending. Retherford has served time in prison for other violent felony crimes and is considered dangerous. If you see him or know of his whereabouts please call the Lee County Sheriff's Office at 477-1000 or, to remain anonymous and be eligible for a cash reward of up to $1,000, Southwest Florida Crime Stoppers at 1-800 -780-TIPS(8477). Tips may also be made online at www.swflcrimestoppers.org, through the TipSubmit app on any iPhone or by texting CRIMES (274637) Keyword: REWARD.
- Man linked to Pt. Charlotte accused in wife's death
- 2 Cape Coral men accused of battery on an FHP officer
- Punta Gorda victim of theft follows and detains suspect
- Cape PD warns residents of housing scam
- Woman allegedly threatened to shoot man as he walked his dog
- 3 headliners cancel music performances at SeaWorld
- Florida skydiver falls with tangled parachute
- Lottery sales suspended at stores raided for illegal drugs
- NTSB releases preliminary report on Fla. jet crash
- 3 people killed in Florida Panhandle boat crash