|Published:||Jul 31, 2012 11:04 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 01, 2012 7:40 AM EDT|
LEE COUNTY, Fl. - The Lee County School Board delays a vote on closing two Lee County charter schools.
An audit found the Richard Milburn Academy and the Lee Alternative Charter High School allowed students to graduate without meeting the proper requirements.
Leaders brought up another option at Tuesday night's meeting. The proposal is to close the Richard Milburn Academy in Fort Myers but leave the Lee Alternative Charter High School open for the remainder of the year.
"Leaving this till almost the day before school starts, I think it's really rediculous," says Betsy Pagan.
Her son is a senior at Lee Alternative Charter High School. While she's happy an option to keep his school's doors open is still on the table, she's not sure it's a full solution.
"I think they should have taken this issue a little bit serious because it's two schools and even if they do move the Fort Myers over to Lehigh, they don't fit." she adds.
Superintendent Joseph Burke says this new proposal from leaders with Richard Milburn Academy would voluntarily close the Fort Myers school beginning August 8th, but leave the Lehigh Acres school open so that students from Fort Myers would have somewhere to go. Burke says they would still be under scrutiny.
"They have agreed that by February, if we determine that they are still not in compliance, they would voluntarily terminate at the end of the year and not appeal," he says.
Those compliance standards would require leaders provide the board specifics about student progress on given dates.
"We have to go one by one and find a place for these students here they can be successful this year," says board member, Jane Kuckle.
"We have kids that are 20 years old and woke up and realized that they need to go to this school, they're going to get their high school diploma," says mom, Shannah Sturgis.
Leaders will vote on one of these proposals at the August 7th meeting.
- Woman at center of infamous killing set free
- Public IDs woman accused of stealing from elderly victim
- Motorcyclist injured after crash on Nelson at Tropicana
- Snow forecasted for Golden Gate Community Park Saturday
- Pilot whales change course, move closer to shore
- A song from behind bars: An unlikely story
- So. Fla. US Rep. Garcia joins 24 immigration fast
- Cape Police arrest reckless driver near recent accident site
- FHP investigates fatality on SB I-75 near Corkscrew Rd.
- Deputies arrest student accused of bringing knife to school