NEW SMYRNA BEACH, Fla. (AP) - A 9-year-old girl has died from injuries caused by a fire that started as she and a friend played with cigarette lighters.
New Smyrna Beach Fire Marshal Jeff Lariscy says the girl and her 8-year-old friend were playing in a backyard shed on July 28 when the fire broke out. The boy crawled out a window, but the girl didn't get out.
Officials said Monday the girl died on Saturday at Arnold Palmer Hospital for Children in Orlando. The boy is recovering at Halifax Health Medical Center in Daytona Beach.
The Daytona Beach News-Journal (http://bit.ly/QToMuo ) reports the children were burning items in the shed, including clothes and Christmas decorations. The children had been friends since they were toddlers.
Lariscy says officials found two lighters in the shed.
Information from: Daytona Beach News-Journal, http://www.news-journalonline.com
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Suspects on the loose after allegedly robbing Iberia Bank
- How life has changed for Fort Myers 2007 lotto winner
- Local bar named Best beach bar in America
- Venturi, US Open champion and CBS analyst, dies
- FMPD forced to pay back overtime
- Record tourist season adds 1,700 hospitality jobs in Collier
- Naples tops 'Healthy Living' poll
- Fl construction adds jobs