|Published:||Jul 31, 2012 10:18 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Jul 31, 2012 12:36 PM EDT|
SANIBEL, Fla.- A 2-year-old boy is in critical condition after nearly drowning on Sanibel Island Monday evening.
Bystanders found the child unresponsive in a pool at the Sanibel Arms Condominiums just before 9:30 p.m. They performed CPR until medics arrived, authorities say.
The child was brought to HealthPark Medical center, where he was placed on a ventilator.
The toddler, who is expected to turn 3 next month, was visiting Southwest Florida with his grandparents. His parents were at their home in Louisiana at the time of the accident, according to Sanibel Fire officials.
A family friend who witnessed the incident says the child pulled off his water wings, causing the near-drowning event.
Police were on scene Tuesday morning questioning witnesses.
The Sanibel Police Department says it is an open investigation, but it does not appear to be a suspicious situation.
- Doctors find Mesac Damas incompetent to stand trial
- Salvage crews raise sunken luxury yacht
- Lee's family talks about new 911 dispatcher training
- Thieves steal handicapped man's motobility chair
- One person dead after early morning accident
- Immokalee firefighters donate new bikes after damaging one
- Taxpayers footing the bill for Damas hearings, treatment
- Interactive play to teach dangers of drug use