|Published:||Jul 31, 2012 10:18 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Jul 31, 2012 12:36 PM EDT|
SANIBEL, Fla.- A 2-year-old boy is in critical condition after nearly drowning on Sanibel Island Monday evening.
Bystanders found the child unresponsive in a pool at the Sanibel Arms Condominiums just before 9:30 p.m. They performed CPR until medics arrived, authorities say.
The child was brought to HealthPark Medical center, where he was placed on a ventilator.
The toddler, who is expected to turn 3 next month, was visiting Southwest Florida with his grandparents. His parents were at their home in Louisiana at the time of the accident, according to Sanibel Fire officials.
A family friend who witnessed the incident says the child pulled off his water wings, causing the near-drowning event.
Police were on scene Tuesday morning questioning witnesses.
The Sanibel Police Department says it is an open investigation, but it does not appear to be a suspicious situation.
- Defense releases photos, texts of Trayvon Martin
- LCSO: Hohensee died from self-inflicted gun shot wound
- Vehicles flee the scene after seriously injuring pedestrian
- A look at the dangers of riding a motorcycle
- CCSO searches for missing 23 y/o Golden Gate woman
- Floridians pay the price for illegal Curbstoning
- Charlotte County does away with PE class
- 12 sentenced in South Florida grow house operation
- Three bears spotted in North Naples community
- Man answers the door & gets beat with a tire iron