|Published:||Jul 27, 2012 5:15 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Jul 27, 2012 10:12 PM EDT|
NORTH FORT MYERS, Fla.- A large structure fire has claimed the life of one person at Bayshore Rd. and Lamplighter Ln. in North Fort Myers.
"He was a good man... I just feel so bad," says Nancy Smeal.
"First I heard an explosion, and then I called 9-1-1 and I looked out and saw all the smoke," says Louise Drouin.
Louise Drouin lives across the street from where this mobile home went up in flames. She tells WINK News about the horror of seeing her neighbor go back inside his burning home.
"I went over and started screaming for him but he didn't answer me and then all of a sudden the flames and the smoke just came billowing everywhere... the sheriff came through, he said to get away because they weren't sure why it blew up," she adds.
Louise has lived here for almost 20 years. While she didn't see the man who lived here often, she says he was always a pleasant neighbor.
He was a very nice man, it's a shame... but he went in there to save his birds," she adds.
Firefighters say the house was fully engulfed when they got here and is a total loss.
Nancy Smeal lives next door. She was on her way home when she saw the smoke.
"It just kept exploding and exploding... the policeman was running out with my dogs," she says.
"It's terrible I mean it's terrible anytime but to have it be a neighbor," adds Drouin.
- 10 whales dead, dozens stranded in Everglades
- Update: Cape Coral kid hit by car doing 'a lot better'
- Suspect in custody after Orlando-area school shooting
- Sheriff: Fla. man kills wife, son with crossbow
- Cops: Man shoots friend while watching football
- Gifts, volunteers needed for adopt-a-senior holiday program
- 'Hazmat situation' determined not suspicious
- Pt. Charlotte street closed due to roadway collapse
- 2 Keys men get prison for wildlife trafficking
- Water main break blocks Hancock Bridge Pkwy near US 41