|Published:||Jul 26, 2012 5:36 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Jul 26, 2012 6:03 PM EDT|
COLLIER COUNTY, Fla. - When law enforcement arrested Wakim Stewart, 37, on Fort Myers Beach, the food caterer was shirtless and wearing khaki cargo shorts.
He looked a lot different the day before, when investigators say he held an East Naples bank teller at gunpoint and demanded cash. Surveillance video from the bank shows the Golden Gate man in a suit and tie, a baseball cap on his head and face unmasked.
"Clothing that he was wearing at the time is a little bit different than your usual robberies and that disguise... helped us out, as far as the tips coming in," says Sgt. Brian Sawyer, a lead investigator in the robbery.
According to Sawyer, after local media aired the surveillance pictures, the Collier County Sheriff's Office and Crime Stoppers received several calls from people saying they recognized Stewart or his outfit.
After some detective work, authorities tracked him down at the Lani Kai on Fort Myers Beach. Florida Department of Law Enforcement and the U.S. Marshals Fugitive Task Force swooped into the bar where Stewart was reportedly hanging out that afternoon. He ran, but officers caught him, finding a loaded gun on his body.
"Law enforcement officers took him down by hand, and one eventually tased him, and then everybody else came in from all directions," says Charles Ivery, a witness.
Thursday morning, Stewart appeared in front of a Lee County judge to answer for gun charges and resisting officers on the beach.
He will go to Collier County court to face armed robbery charges.
Seminole Police are also investigating Stewart but are not releasing why.
- LCSO searches for missing Fort Myers teen
- CCSO IDs Golden Gate Estates murder victim, makes arrest
- Fort Myers Police investigating shooting.
- Driver dies after crashing into Cape Coral home
- Yankee Candle recalls product due to risk of fire
- Free bee removal for a woman after a year of heartache
- Bicyclist remains in critical condition after morning crash
- Builders Care gives Fort Myers man new home for Christmas
- Man crashes into store while allegedly under the influence
- Suspect tries to use stolen credit card at seveal locations