|Published:||Jul 26, 2012 10:27 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Jul 26, 2012 10:27 AM EDT|
OVIEDO, Fla. (AP) - A prescribed burn is planned for a park in Seminole County.
A county statement says the Natural Lands Program is planning a 15 acre prescribed burn Thursday at Econ River Wilderness Area in Oviedo. The area will be closed for the day and is expected to open on Friday.
State fire officials say prescribed burning mimics natural fire cycles to restore healthy forests and natural communities, reduce undergrowth that accumulates over time and decreases the potential for wildfire. Burned lands experience an increase in native wildflowers, birds and other wildlife.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- FMPD IDs victim in fatal shooting, suspect search continues
- Charlotte deputies ID body found in burned garage
- Immokalee man accused of having sex with an 11 y/o
- Police find 2 bodies inside West Palm Beach school
- Fla. school tells students to drop online classes
- 2 children remain hospitalized after near drowning incidents
- Judge sends N. Fla. man to prison for life
- School board approves new superintendent's contract
- Poll: Rubio gets negative marks on immigration
- Dr. Joseph Burke's Last Day as Superintendent