|Published:||Jul 25, 2012 3:27 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Jul 25, 2012 3:27 PM EDT|
MIAMI (AP) - During the lean years, hip-hip, pop star Pitbull joked to a Miami Subs restaurant manager that one day he would own the place.
Now he does, or part of it. Pitbull, AKA Armando Christian Perez, announced this week he is helping revive the once ubiquitous South Florida chain under the name of The New Miami Subs Grill.
The Miami-based artist said Tuesday he has bought a significant share in the company. The original chain reached its heyday in the early 1990s. But it languished after founder Gus Boulis sold the company. Boulis was also a casino boat owner and was murdered in 2001.
The new company is Fort Lauderdale-based. It is already planning to open its first Latin American restaurants in Guyana.
Pitbul. already has his own vodka line.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Two arrested in Fort Myers drug bust
- Hazmat team responds to chlorine leak at CCI
- Part of Collier Blvd. closed due to downed power line
- Dr. Nancy Graham sworn in as Lee County Superintendent
- Post-recession reinvention: the pet food business
- Lee County Schools want to spend $180,000 on marketing
- Passerby pulls floating 5 year-old from North Naples pond
- LCEC's portable substation can restore power to thousands
- Beach-goers keeping an eye on the waves in the Gulf
- Estero residents could soon vote to become part of Bonita