|Published:||Jul 25, 2012 11:51 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Jul 26, 2012 12:20 AM EDT|
FORT MYERS BEACH, Fla - US Marshal's track down an accused Bank of America robber at a Fort Myers Beach bar.
It happened just after 4:00 p.m. Wednesday at the Lani Kai while the bar was full of customers. Witnesses tell WINK News a man ran through the front entrance to the middle of the bar when US Marshal's tackled him to the ground.
One witnesses tells WINK News, "we were sitting outside looking at the beach when we heard this thump. We both turned around and thought it was a bar fight. We saw a black guy on the ground and the officer was sitting on top of him."
The US Marshal Fugitive Task Force descended on Lani Kai to bust Wakim Stewart, 37, the man suspected of robbing an East Naples Bank Tuesday.
The entire take down was caught on camera by W. Charles Ivery, a business owner at the Lani Kai. He says, "the people around the incident were going nuts, guns, yelling, screaming. It took a moment for people to realize it was law enforcement involved in a takedown of a suspect."
The US Marshal's office assisted Collier County Sheriff's Deputies in the capture of Stewart. Deputies say Stewart, who lives in Golden Gate, pointed a gun at Bank of America bank teller and ran off with an undisclosed amount of cash.
How and why Stewart ended up at the Lani Kai is unclear, but deputies say Stewart resisted arrest and they found him with a loaded gun.
Ivery says, "they took him down perfectly, tazed him. He put up a little resistance and it was unbelievable. They brought their A game."
The general manager of the Lani Kai says Stewart was not staying at the resort, but witnesses say he was hanging out at the bar throughout the day.
Stewart is charged with armed robbery and grand theft in connection with Tuesday's bank robbery. He also faces charges in Lee County relating to Wednesday's incident.
Stewart was booked in the Lee County Jail Wednesday night.
- Person of interest in Lehigh Acres killings not alone
- LCSO investigates North Ft. Myers homicide
- Suspect cuts Punta Gorda horse's mane
- Victim's parents ask for public's help in finding suspect
- Man who lost leg to propeller unable to reach settlement
- Five years fatality free: Florida set to break gator record
- Sun-N-Fun Lagoon opens for Collier schools' winter break
- Templeton Shootout drives millions into Naples economy
- House to tackle flood insurance rate hikes
- Naples shelter combats domestic violence one gift at a time