|Published:||Jul 23, 2012 10:17 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Jul 23, 2012 10:17 AM EDT|
TAMPA, Fla. (AP) - Two dozen tea party and like-minded groups are trying to organize a rally that would take place the day before the Republican National Convention begins and feature former presidential candidates Michelle Bachmann and Herman Cain.
The Tampa Bay Times reports (http://bit.ly/MDUob1 ) that Unity Rally 2012 could take place in a parking lot outside Raymond James Stadium, though details are still unclear.
The Tampa Sports Authority says the group has expressed interest but there has been no contract signed yet.
In St. Petersburg, the RNC itself is holding its official welcome event at Tropicana Field on Aug. 26.
In Tampa, Rep. Ron Paul, R-Texas, is holding a free public rally at the University of South Florida. A group of Paul supporters also is organizing a festival at the Florida State Fairgrounds.
Information from: Tampa Bay (Fla.)Times, http://tampabay.com
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 10 whales dead, dozens stranded in Everglades
- Update: Cape Coral kid hit by car doing 'a lot better'
- Suspect in custody after Orlando-area school shooting
- Sheriff: Fla. man kills wife, son with crossbow
- Gifts, volunteers needed for adopt-a-senior holiday program
- 'Hazmat situation' determined not suspicious
- Support for smack cam victim grows, victim responds
- Pt. Charlotte street closed due to roadway collapse
- Water main break blocks Hancock Bridge Pkwy near US 41
- Grinch steals Christmas trees from Lemon Bay students