|Published:||Jul 23, 2012 10:17 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Jul 23, 2012 10:17 AM EDT|
TAMPA, Fla. (AP) - Two dozen tea party and like-minded groups are trying to organize a rally that would take place the day before the Republican National Convention begins and feature former presidential candidates Michelle Bachmann and Herman Cain.
The Tampa Bay Times reports (http://bit.ly/MDUob1 ) that Unity Rally 2012 could take place in a parking lot outside Raymond James Stadium, though details are still unclear.
The Tampa Sports Authority says the group has expressed interest but there has been no contract signed yet.
In St. Petersburg, the RNC itself is holding its official welcome event at Tropicana Field on Aug. 26.
In Tampa, Rep. Ron Paul, R-Texas, is holding a free public rally at the University of South Florida. A group of Paul supporters also is organizing a festival at the Florida State Fairgrounds.
Information from: Tampa Bay (Fla.)Times, http://tampabay.com
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Lee County pursuit ends in crash in Collier County
- Fort Myers man arrested in road rage shooting incident
- New video shows Hohensee's anger
- Beware of Memorial Day scams aimed at military personnel
- Gearing up for summer with Memorial Day travel
- Community comes together for Safety Fair & 5k
- FMPD arrests 10 on drug charges, looking for 9 more
- Communications satellite launched into space
- Request to exhume remains from panhandle school rejected
- Fort Myers Dog Show takes over Lee Civic Center