Published: Jul 17, 2012 5:51 PM EDT
Updated: Jul 17, 2012 6:39 PM EDT

NORTH FORT MYERS, Fla.- Some renters in North Fort Myers are in a stinky situation, after their septic systems overflowed during last night's storm.

Tami Davis lives in a stone cottage on Cypress Street off Tamiami Trail in North Fort Myers.

She says Monday night, "I found water on one side of my bed, when I came into my kitchen it was literally 4 inches deep. Within 30 minutes, my entire house was flooded. I had septic in my tub backed up, my toilet backed up with septic, we couldn't take showers, we couldn't flush the toilets. I got shocked walking in my kitchen because the cords were floating in the water."

She says it was seeping in through the foundation.

"It smelled like crap. That's the nicest word I can pick right now," she said.

Her home is one of about nine along the street with the same property owner and some of the same flooding issues. Davis says she reached out to that property owner Monday night, but was left hung out to dry.

"I told him to come over and look at my apartment, what was I supposed to do, I can't live like this. He told me there was nothing he could do and got in his van and drove off," she says.

She says she could deal with a little rain-water flooding, but this is unacceptable. "I mean, it's sewer. It can't be healthy. We're walking around in poop. It's disgusting."

Davis says besides the mess and some of her furniture getting ruined, it has been an emotional experience as well.

"I was in tears last night. I don't have much, but what I do have, I try to take care of and keep clean. And all this is going to be ruined."

WINK News tried contacting the property owner, but his phone went to voicemail and he did not return our calls.

The Lee County Health Department says if you experience a similar issue, get out of your home as soon as possible.

They say if you can't get help from your landlord, call the citizen dispute mediation office in Lee County at 239-533-1595. You can also call a septic tank contractor to see if they can help.