PALM BAY, Fla. (AP) - Police in central Florida have arrested a man they say shot and wounded an officer during a six-hour standoff.
The Palm Bay Police Department reports Mark Clark has been charged with attempted murder of a law enforcement officer, aggravated battery of an officer and aggravated assault.
According to authorities, two officers went to Clark's home Saturday evening to arrest him on a charge of aggravated assault.
After a brief conversation, police say Clark opened fire. Officer James Bearden was wounded in the left side of his jaw. Another officer injured his elbow when he fell as he returned fire.
Bearden was treated and released from the hospital.
SWAT teams, crisis negotiators and others responded to the scene. After several hours, Clark surrendered. He sustained minor injuries.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Shooting investigation in North Fort Myers
- Group protests taxes in Cape Coral by a 'Call to Arms'
- Woman accused of faking sons' deaths won't face jail time
- Small Fla. city anxious to learn jackpot winner
- Truck carrying mulch rolls over at Colonial & Plantation
- Jungle Golf fundraiser putts for patriots
- FMPD on the scene at Bernwood Cove Apartments
- Baby found, father charged in South Fla.
- 2 bodies found in Chassahowitzka Forest in Fla.
- Deputies: Bartender, 3 patrons sliced by angry man