|Published:||Jul 16, 2012 10:05 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Jul 16, 2012 10:05 AM EDT|
PALM BAY, Fla. (AP) - Police in central Florida have arrested a man they say shot and wounded an officer during a six-hour standoff.
The Palm Bay Police Department reports Mark Clark has been charged with attempted murder of a law enforcement officer, aggravated battery of an officer and aggravated assault.
According to authorities, two officers went to Clark's home Saturday evening to arrest him on a charge of aggravated assault.
After a brief conversation, police say Clark opened fire. Officer James Bearden was wounded in the left side of his jaw. Another officer injured his elbow when he fell as he returned fire.
Bearden was treated and released from the hospital.
SWAT teams, crisis negotiators and others responded to the scene. After several hours, Clark surrendered. He sustained minor injuries.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Two dead in Lehigh Acres, LCSO seeking person of interest
- Teacher accused of relationship with 18 y/o student resigns
- CCSO: Man threatens to shoot deputy during domestic dispute
- Mobile home destroyed in North Fort Myers fire
- State-of-the-art Fort Myers Regional Library opens its doors
- Judge approves Cape Coral fire assessment
- Salvation Army receives another 'Mimi coin' donation
- 1 suspect in Miami-Dade police manhunt identified
- Police chief resigns in troubled Fla. city
- DNA evidence leads detectives to North Port burglary suspect