|Published:||Jul 12, 2012 10:23 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Jul 12, 2012 10:23 AM EDT|
MIAMI (AP) - A South Florida millionaire has been sentenced to 180 days in jail for allowing his 16-year-old son to get married, effectively keeping the teen out of a Utah boarding school.
A Miami-Dade judge sentenced 65-year-old Dan Rotta on Tuesday. He was previously found to be in contempt of court.
The Miami Herald (http://hrld.us/LahWy0 ) reports that the wedding followed a long-running divorce between Rotta and his ex-wife, Renee Rotta. The mother had asked the court to send their son to Logan River Academy. A judge approved the request in November 2010, and Dan Rotta was supposed to take his son to the Utah school the next month.
Instead, court records show Rotta took his son to Las Vegas, where the teen married the 18-year-old daughter of Rotta's housekeeper. The marriage made the son an adult, removing him from the court's oversight.
Information from: The Miami Herald, http://www.herald.com
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- FMPD IDs victim in fatal shooting, suspect search continues
- Charlotte deputies ID body found in burned garage
- Police find 2 bodies inside West Palm Beach school
- Fla. school tells students to drop online classes
- 2 children remain hospitalized after near drowning incidents
- Judge sends N. Fla. man to prison for life
- School board approves new superintendent's contract
- Poll: Rubio gets negative marks on immigration
- Dr. Joseph Burke's Last Day as Superintendent
- Judge reads charge against Zimmerman to jurors