|Published:||Jul 12, 2012 10:23 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Jul 12, 2012 10:23 AM EDT|
MIAMI (AP) - A South Florida millionaire has been sentenced to 180 days in jail for allowing his 16-year-old son to get married, effectively keeping the teen out of a Utah boarding school.
A Miami-Dade judge sentenced 65-year-old Dan Rotta on Tuesday. He was previously found to be in contempt of court.
The Miami Herald (http://hrld.us/LahWy0 ) reports that the wedding followed a long-running divorce between Rotta and his ex-wife, Renee Rotta. The mother had asked the court to send their son to Logan River Academy. A judge approved the request in November 2010, and Dan Rotta was supposed to take his son to the Utah school the next month.
Instead, court records show Rotta took his son to Las Vegas, where the teen married the 18-year-old daughter of Rotta's housekeeper. The marriage made the son an adult, removing him from the court's oversight.
Information from: The Miami Herald, http://www.herald.com
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Cape city workers find small mobile meth lab in the woods
- Cab driver saves family from mobile home fire
- Boil water notice in effect after N. Ft. Myers main break
- Attorney: Winston relieved no charges in sex case
- Officials: 35 pilot whales moving in deeper water
- Kohl's keeps doors open 'round the clock until Christmas Eve
- Miami man allegedly hid drugs in truck's door panel
- JetBlue Airways opens flight route to Haiti
- FMPD arrests 3 teenaged vehicle burglary suspects
- A song from behind bars: An unlikely story