|Published:||Jul 12, 2012 7:45 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Jul 12, 2012 3:03 PM EDT|
LEHIGH ACRES, Fla. - Florida Highway Patrol is investigating a deadly car crash after a man smashed his BMW into a vacant home on the corner of Parkdale Blvd. and Creuset Ave at 4:45 a.m. Troopers say the victim was driving at a high rate of speed when he lost control and crashed.
Neigbors say the elderly couple who lived in the home moved out just two weeks prior to the incident.
The driver has been identified as Jaime Alonso Giron Cardona of Lehigh Acres. Florida Highway Patrol says it is still to early to know if alcohol or drugs may have played a factor.
FHP says it appears the driver blew through a stop sign at the intersection of Parkdale and Homestead Road, lost control, went airborne and then landed and crashed into the side of the house. An EMS helicopter was called to the scene to transport the victim to Lee Memorial Trauma Center. But FHP says the man went into cardiac arrest and, following protocol, was then taken to the nearest hospital by ground. FHP confirms the driver later died.
- Teacher accused of relationship with 18 y/o student resigns
- Two dead in Lehigh Acres, LCSO seeking person of interest
- State-of-the-art Fort Myers Regional Library opens its doors
- Ida Baker assistant principal put on leave
- Fake service dogs hurting those who actually need them
- Men called heroes after pulling man from Golden Gate lake
- Men take homeowner's truck at gunpoint, abandon it nearby
- Salvation Army of Collier short on donations and volunteers
- Residents are still homeless after a devastating Sept. fire
- Nate Lee continues to fight for 911 call system improvements