|Published:||Jul 11, 2012 6:27 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Jul 11, 2012 6:43 PM EDT|
PORT CHARLOTTE Fla.- An air conditioner repair man may have to look a little harder to find work. He just got out of the Charlotte County Jail. Nathan Sasse is accused of selling an unsuspecting customer a fraudulent service warranty, after he did repair work on her unit.
Tom Hass with Executive Heating and Cooling in Punta Gorda says he sees it all the time.
"We have a lot of people who call here who tell us the money has never been sent from the dealer", said Hass.
He says he gets calls every week from citizens who have encountered shady contractors selling bogus insurance warranties to customers in order to swindle them out of money.
"Do your homework up front make sure who you are dealing with make sure you are dealing with a legitimate company", cautions Hass.
According to the Charlotte County Sheriff's Office, a couple of elderly residents at their Port Charlotte home did not do their homework before they handed over hundreds of dollars to Nathan Sasse for a bogus warranty. Sasse had been sent to the couples home by his employer, Unique Air in Port Charlotte.
We attempted to contact the company. The manager left us a voice mail saying they fired Sasse and they contacted the customer and made sure they were aware of the situation of the selling of unauthorized independent warranties.
The Charlotte County Sherriff's office did not have any advice to offer citizens on the subject but Hass did.
"First of all check to see that you have a licensed contractor, which you can check with your building department", says Hass.
Your contractor should also be able to provide proof of insurance and most importantly should have a license from the Florida Department of Finance before they can sell warranties or insurance in the state.
- Hostage situation ends in house fire, man found dead inside
- Defense releases photos, texts of Trayvon Martin
- Ft. Myers man dies in New Jersey crash, wife critically hurt
- Vehicles flee the scene after seriously injuring pedestrian
- FWC relocates largest black bear captured in Fla.
- LCSO: Hohensee died from self-inflicted gun shot wound
- CCSO searches for missing 23 y/o Golden Gate woman
- Man finds drugs in a safe in front of his Pt. Charlotte home
- A look at the dangers of riding a motorcycle
- Crash with injuries on Veterans at Chiquita blocks traffic