JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) - The family of a woman killed in a drug-related shooting will receive $1 million from the property owner for a wrongful death claim.
The Florida Times Union (http://bit.ly/NhRwgT ) reported Tuesday that 19-year-old Danielle Melton's twin toddlers are among her beneficiaries in the pre-lawsuit settlement finalized last week.
Police say Melton was an innocent bystander who was gunned down Aug. 20 as she sat outside the Prince Street Apartments.
Attorney Fred Tromberg says the property owner failed to provide security at the crime-ridden apartment complex even though it was in a high crime area.
Two men were killed in the shooting and a toddler recovered from a gunshot to the head.
Melton's 36-year-old mother Michelle Rockett filed the lawsuit. She is the guardian of the twin boys.
Information from: The Florida Times-Union, http://www.jacksonville.com
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Second Lee County bank robbed, suspects in custody
- Fatal crash on Golden Gate Parkway
- Florida is #2 for internet crime complaints
- Deputies: 86-year-old Fla. mom shoots, kills son
- Fla. man trapped in car, dies from complications
- Heroes rescue disabled Fla. vet from pond
- SWFL man's dream vacation turns into nightmare