|Published:||Jul 04, 2012 6:07 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Jul 04, 2012 10:44 PM EDT|
CAPE CORAL, Fla.- Wednesday morning's Freedom 5k Run kicked off a day-long Fourth of July celebration in Cape Coral. Crews are working in overdrive to transform Cape Coral Parkway into Red, White and Boom.
Preparations are under way at the foot of the bridge. Once the run wrapped up, the crew members got to work. They expect between 20,000 and 25,000 people, making for the biggest Red, White and Boom to date.
The event starts at 4:00 p.m.
Crew members are constructing a concert stage for live entertainment and a tribute to those who have served our country.
Scott Nichols with Creative Pyro-Technics says preparations for the Cape's firework display begin a year in advance. It will take 10 hours to get the gear in place and ready for tonight's spectacular show.
No coolers or pets are allowed at the event, but organizers encourage you to bring blankets and chairs for the show. The fireworks show starts at 9:30 p.m.
Also as a reminder, the Cape Coral Bridge will be closed until about 3:00 p.m. tomorrow morning.
- Woman's throat slit by daughter's boyfriend, 15
- Police arrest man who crashed his car into Cape canal
- Doctors find Mesac Damas incompetent to stand trial
- Woman allegedly steals iPhone 5S from Verizon Store
- Crist defends President Obama, blasts Scott
- Dump truck and car crash on SW 20th Ave.
- Driver suffers serious injuries after causing 3-car crash
- FMPD arrests 2, seizes drugs, cash and handgun during search
- CCSO investigates Waffle House armed robbery
- Salvage crews raise sunken luxury yacht