|Published:||Jul 03, 2012 11:03 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Jul 03, 2012 11:03 PM EDT|
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) - President Barack Obama has declared a major disaster area for the state of Florida as a result of the damage caused by Tropical Storm Debby.
The president ordered federal aid to help residents in Baker, Bradford, Columbia, Pasco and Wakulla counties. Assistance includes grants for temporary housing and home repairs and low-cost loans to cover uninsured property losses. Other programs will help individuals and business owners recover from the flooding that resulted from the storm.
President Obama called Gov. Rick Scott during last week's Florida Cabinet meeting to offer the federal assistance that he signed off on Tuesday.
The Federal Emergency Management Agency said they are reviewing other areas affected by the storm and that more counties could receive disaster declarations.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- LCSO: Hohensee died from self-inflicted gun shot wound
- Dr. Burke gives last speech before retirement
- Cape woman suffers serious burns after morning kitchen fire
- Memorial Day weekend travel expected to mirror last year
- Fla. man dies after crashing into moving train
- Fla. woman meets son she gave up for adoption
- Fla. Gov. asked to return money to insurer
- Man found floating in water near Marathon
- Hurricane center: Beware of the storm surge
- Missing man's kayak washes up in Pensacola