|Published:||Jul 01, 2012 11:04 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Jul 01, 2012 11:04 PM EDT|
FORT MYERS, Fla. - On Sunday, July 1, 2012 the Fort Myers Police Department arrested two juveniles for the homicide of a delivery man last week. Police arrested Eddie Leonard (d.o.b. 1-8-96 of Fort Myers) and Dejerion Stewart (d.o.b. 2-24-95 of Lehigh Acres) for homicide during the commission of a felony.
On Thursday, June 28, 2012 at 9:07 p.m. officers responded to a shooting at the Westchase apartments located at 3746 Metro Parkway. Upon arrival police located Zhi Wei Huang (d.o.b. 9-1-88 of Lehigh Acres) suffering from a gunshot wound. He was transported to Lee Memorial Hospital where he died. Huang worked at a local restaurant and had just delivered food to an apartment at the complex.
Police set up a perimeter using K-9 and the Lee County Sheriff’s Office Aviation Unit. Officers then began searching apartments in the vicinity but did not locate any suspects. The homicide was assigned to Detective Vincent Doyle. Through his investigation Detective Doyle learned that Leonard lives at the address where the food was delivered. Leonard and Stewart planned the robbery earlier in the day on June 28th and ultimately carried-out the plan. Chief Doug Baker commends the police work involved in the case.
“This is a tragedy. From what we’ve gathered the victim was a hard-working young man and helping his parents earn a living. It’s also tragic to hold two juveniles accountable for such a careless, senseless act. I’m satisfied in giving the victim’s family some closure and I’m looking forward to the justice system holding the boys accountable as well.”
- LCSO investigates a death at Edison State College
- Human remains found on Shell Point Blvd.
- Cape woman suffers serious burns after morning kitchen fire
- Dr. Burke gives last speech before retirement
- Ohio cop, wife face child neglect charge in Fla.
- Lee Dept. of Health offers free pool testing kit
- Fla. woman meets son she gave up for adoption
- Third-grade FCAT math and reading scores static
- Investigators look for answers in fatal Gateway standoff
- Personal finance expert Suze Orman speaks at UF