|Published:||Jun 30, 2012 6:41 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Jun 30, 2012 6:41 PM EDT|
CAPE CORAL, Fla.- Sun Splash water park celebrated its 20th anniversary today, complete with cake and raffle prizes.
The park has become a popular attraction for people looking to escape the Florida heat.
Park Manager Sandie Greiner says they've seen a lot of growth over those two decades.
She says, "obviously when it opened in 1992, it didn't start out this way. We had minimal attractions and as the years progressed we've added on and added on to what you see today."
That brought 13-year-old Tiffany Guinn and her family from Port Charlotte. It was their second visit in about a week.
She says, "it's fun and there's something for everybody to do here."
Her mom Amy Guinn says the price is a big draw, and it is a lot cheaper than other water parks in the state. "It's a good thing, we don't get places like this too often, they try to build them but it never comes through so its nice to have something to come to on the weekend or during the week."
The Hartshorne family also came to the park from Port Charlotte. They just moved down from Ohio, and enjoyed their first trip to Sun Splash.
"I think it's great, I think its absolutely a great day for the family, the kids are having a blast. We'll definitely be back," Melanie Hartshorne says.
Greiner says the the city owns and operates the park. They are not operating at a loss right now, but she says the skies hold a lot of power. "Right now we have some catching up to do. With the bad weather and the rain, it obviously put a damper on some of our sales," she adds.
She also says she hopes to expand the park in the future, and hopes to add a new slide.
- Defense releases photos, texts of Trayvon Martin
- Ft. Myers man dies in New Jersey crash, wife critically hurt
- Vehicles flee the scene after seriously injuring pedestrian
- LCSO: Hohensee died from self-inflicted gun shot wound
- FWC relocates largest black bear captured in Fla.
- A look at the dangers of riding a motorcycle
- CCSO searches for missing 23 y/o Golden Gate woman
- Man finds drugs in a safe in front of his Pt. Charlotte home
- Investigation determines electrical problems caused bus fire
- Crash with injuries on Veterans at Chiquita blocks traffic