|Published:||Jun 29, 2012 7:55 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Jun 29, 2012 8:12 PM EDT|
LEE COUNTY, Fla. -- The Lee County Sheriff's Office has identified the man involved in Thursday's deadly shooting. LCSO tells WINK News the man who died is Carlos Joseph Charles, 28, of Sarasota.
On Thursday, a deputy conducted a traffic stop on northbound I-75 near mile marker 148. During the stop, an altercation between Charles and the deputy turned violent resulting in shots fired.
Sheriff Mike Scott told WINK News reporter Nick Spinetto on Friday, Charles was pulled over for speeding and illegal window tinting and deputies found large sums of cocaine and other drugs in the car. There was also a woman and 4-year-old child in the car.
Once the deputy found the drugs, Sheriff Scott says Charles jumped back into the car and tried to drive off, injuring the deputy and Charles was shot a short time later.
The deputy who was injured is out of the hospital and recovering. Unknown if the woman passenger will face charges. The car ended up off the roadway in a clump of trees and Charles was pronounced dead at the scene.
Charles is no stranger to law enforcement. He has spent time in prison for the sale/manufacturing/delivery of cocaine three times in 2002. He was charged with domestic battery and aggravated battery in 2003. He was convicted of driving with a suspended license and fleeing law enforcement in 2007 and 2008. In 2012 in Sarasota, he was charged with aggravated assault.
WINK News is working on this story and we'll have more on WINK News Live at 4 p.m.
- Suspects in San Carlos Park home invasion caught
- FHP investigating accident Lehigh Acres
- How you can help tornado victims in Oklahoma
- Lee school board narrows down supt. search
- Vandals cause damage at St. Leo's Catholic church
- Charlotte detectives look for suspect in credit card fraud
- Judge steps down in Watlington vs. McGregor Baptist case
- Fort Myers Florist launches DIY wedding flower sessions
- Florida emergency officials ready to assist OK victims
- Englewood man arrested on child pornography charges