|Published:||Jun 29, 2012 2:42 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Jun 29, 2012 2:49 PM EDT|
LEE COUNTY, Fla.- On Thursday at 4:05 p.m., a deputy conducted a traffic stop on northbound I-75 near mile marker 148. During the stop, an altercation between the driver of the vehicle and the deputy turned violent resulting in shots fired.
The driver of the vehicle, which ended up off the roadway in a clump of trees, was pronounced dead at the scene.
The deputy sustained non-life threatening injuries and was transported to the hospital where he is undergoing treatment.
All other occupants of the suspect vehicle have been accounted for and were not injured.
The District 21 Medical Examiner will perform an autopsy to confirm cause of death.
The identity of the driver is pending positive identification.
The incident caused a total closure of I-75 to northbound traffic at Bayshore Rd. for several hours. The highway was reopened at approximately 12:15 a.m.
- Early morning crash on US 41 kills pedestrian
- Man surrenders after stand-off in St. James City
- EPA safety testing closes Desoto Middle School today
- Interactive play to teach dangers of drug use
- Man accused of shooting neighbor's black Labrador
- Crash kills 3, injures 2 in central Fla.
- Bieber could get new trial date in Florida case
- Stolen puppy returned to Pensacola pet store
- FMB holds election for Town Council members
- Cape Police investigate suspicious package overnight