|Published:||Jun 29, 2012 2:42 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Jun 29, 2012 2:49 PM EDT|
LEE COUNTY, Fla.- On Thursday at 4:05 p.m., a deputy conducted a traffic stop on northbound I-75 near mile marker 148. During the stop, an altercation between the driver of the vehicle and the deputy turned violent resulting in shots fired.
The driver of the vehicle, which ended up off the roadway in a clump of trees, was pronounced dead at the scene.
The deputy sustained non-life threatening injuries and was transported to the hospital where he is undergoing treatment.
All other occupants of the suspect vehicle have been accounted for and were not injured.
The District 21 Medical Examiner will perform an autopsy to confirm cause of death.
The identity of the driver is pending positive identification.
The incident caused a total closure of I-75 to northbound traffic at Bayshore Rd. for several hours. The highway was reopened at approximately 12:15 a.m.
- 10 whales dead, dozens stranded in Everglades
- Suspect in custody after Orlando-area school shooting
- 'Hazmat situation' determined not suspicious
- Support for smack cam victim grows, victim responds
- Water main break blocks Hancock Bridge Pkwy near US 41
- Alamo gun range set to open in February in Naples
- Toddler apparently drowned in canal
- Woman charged with DUI, crashing into school bus
- Grace Church's worm farms help students with special needs
- New marina, dry boat storage facility in Cape Coral