|Published:||Jun 20, 2012 11:40 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Jun 20, 2012 11:44 PM EDT|
FORT MYERS, Fla. - "It is very tragic. I feel for the familly," said the owner of Beller's Salon and Spa, Kathy Beller.
Her business sits a few feet away from where the shooting took place. She says it is unsettling knowing the suspects are not behind bars.
"It is not safe and I think it is going to keep going on," she said.
Friday afternoon in broad daylight, Fort Myers police say two suspects got out of an suv at Colonial Boulevard and Veronica Shoemaker. They went up to another vehicle and fired shots. Brothers Deshon and Victor Jenkins were inside. Deshon was killed and Victor was hurt. The suspects took off to the nearby Bernwood Trace apartments, dumped their suv and got away. Police say this was not a random shooting and the victim's were targetted. Both victim's have criminal pasts. Victor was arrested in april on drug charges. Deshon had been arrested for theft and resisting arrest.
The Fort Myers Police chief says the department is using every resource both inside and outside the department to catch the suspects. Still, people we spoke to say more needs to be done to protect innocent bystanders from getting caught in the cross-fire.
"It was fun in the sun all around the whole Fort Myers area was known for that. Now we are known for murder and for shootings be careful what intersection you are sitting at you are going to get shot," said Lela Frederick.
- Deputies find body at scene of Pt. Charlotte house fire
- FMPD arrests women caught on camera stealing lotto tickets
- Woman faces DUI charges after crash involving 6 children
- 4 Collier Co. children involved in 2 near drowning incidents
- Witnesses says Naples man killed ducklings with a broom
- Chrysler agrees to recall of Jeeps at risk of fire
- Top choice drops out of consideration for Lee Co. Manager
- Twins minor league team involved in Fla. crash
- DCF investigates Cape Coral infant's death
- LDAS seeks information regarding 2nd recent cat shooting