|Published:||Jun 11, 2012 8:14 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Jun 11, 2012 8:20 PM EDT|
WESTCHESTER COUNTY, Fla.- The Westchester County District Attorney announced that 25-year-old Patrick Smith, of 2703 10th Street SW, Lehigh Acres, was arraigned Monday on a seven count indictment charging him with:
-two counts of Murder in the Second Degree, class 'A-1' Felonies,
-one count of Kidnapping in the First Degree, a class 'A' Felony,
-one count of Robbery in the Second Degree, a class 'C' Felony,
-one count of Unlawful Imprisonment, a class 'E' Felony,
-one count of Grand Larceny in the Fourth Degree, a class 'E' Felony,
-one count of Criminal Possession of Stolen Property, a class 'A' Misdemeanor.
Smith is charged as acting in concert with three accomplices: Jessica Ryan French of 2703 10th Street SW in Lehigh Acres, Charles Blanchard of Hill, New Hampshire, and Travis Morin of Danbury, New Hampshire aiding and abetting each other causing the death of Epifanio Medina.
Medina's body was discovered in the Town of North Salem on June 12, 2011 when two horseback riders discovered the decomposing body of a male, later learned to be the 65-year-old.
The victim, a Florida resident, had been living in Passaic, New Jersey. He was known to carry large amounts of cash and wore a lot of flashy jewelry. He frequented a liquor store in Passaic, New Jersey and was last seen exiting that store on June 2, 2011 at 4:00 pm.
The New York State Police learned that Medina had been reported missing by family members on June 5, 2011 and that he had been living in Passaic, New Jersey. State Police expanded their investigation both down to Florida and up to New Hampshire.
Smith was arrested by New York State Police investigators in April of this year 2012.
His next court appearance will be on July 25th, 2012.
He was remanded to Westchester County Jail and faces a maximum of twenty five years to life state prison.
- Deputies find body at scene of Pt. Charlotte house fire
- Woman faces DUI charges after crash involving 6 children
- 4 Collier Co. children involved in 2 near drowning incidents
- Top choice drops out of consideration for Lee Co. Manager
- DCF investigates Cape Coral infant's death
- Storage unit swiper targets Cape Coral facility
- LDAS seeks information regarding 2nd recent cat shooting
- Car crashes into store on Golden Gate Pkwy.
- Man allegedly shoots step-son in face for being a 'moocher'
- Immokalee Rd. reopens after 2 crashes, moments apart