|Published:||May 28, 2012 3:08 PM EDT|
|Updated:||May 28, 2012 3:08 PM EDT|
WINTER HAVEN, Fla. (AP) - Polk County deputies say a man shot an intruder who broke into his home and tried to start a fight.
A woman called 911 Sunday morning to say a man had broken into her screened in porch and was lying on the table. Authorities also received a call from her neighbor who said a man was banging on his door, screaming and cursing. Thirty-three year-old William Cromwell told the man to go away, but the suspect ran into Cromwells' home. Cromwell accidentally fired a shot into the ground.
The suspect allegedly took off his shirt, yelled, "You wanna fight?" and charged Cromwell.
His young children were upstairs sleeping.
Cromwell is a security guard with Winter Haven Hospital and a U.S. Navy veteran.
The victim has not been identified.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Woman at center of infamous killing set free
- Public IDs woman accused of stealing from elderly victim
- Motorcyclist injured after crash on Nelson at Tropicana
- Snow forecasted for Golden Gate Community Park Saturday
- Pilot whales change course, move closer to shore
- A song from behind bars: An unlikely story
- So. Fla. US Rep. Garcia joins 24 immigration fast
- Cape Police arrest reckless driver near recent accident site
- FHP investigates fatality on SB I-75 near Corkscrew Rd.
- Deputies arrest student accused of bringing knife to school