|Published:||Apr 10, 2012 10:08 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Apr 10, 2012 11:13 PM EDT|
FORT MYERS, Fla. - Congressman Connie Mack pointed to the electronic reading of the price of gas at the Sunoco off McGregor Blvd. "$4.01," he said to one of his supporters after he delivered his plans to drop prices.
The Republican Senate Candidate used the four dollar a gallon gas as a prop, saying Senator Bill Nelson and President Obama are to blame.
"It's a bigger issue than just gas prices, it's Senator Nelson working in lock-step with Obama on liberal policies out of Washington D.C.," said Mack, who this week launched a petition to approve the Keystone XL Pipeline.
The controversial pipeline would carry oil from Canadian tar sands nearly 2,000 miles to refineries in the Gulf. Senate Democrats voted down the measure last month, largely due to environmental concerns.
Enrique Garcia of Fort Myers signed Mack's petition, citing his concern about gas prices and his family.
"I have two kids and my wife, and we spend, like, $80 a week...that's a lot," said Garcia.
"I wanna see us get this oil from Canada and help bring down the price of gas down in Fort Myers," Mack said, "The Senator (Nelson) keeps blocking, instead he's aligning himself with President Obama."
Nelson's office said the Senator supports the pipeline, but he and other Democrats support a measure that would require the oil from the pipeline to be used only in the US. Republicans have rejected that measure.
Instead, Nelson said speculation is the real culprit behind the pain at the pump.
"63 cents of every gallon of gas we pump is due to speculators on Wall Street," Nelson said while speaking in Tampa on Monday.
- Barricaded man didn't survive in house fire
- Surgeons remove 4-pound hairball from tiger
- Retired Corrections officer arrested after accident
- Gateway street still blocked after fire, SWAT situation
- Cape Coral churches could pay full price for UEP
- Neighbors fighting for fire station on Livingston Road
- Body identified in Fort Myers death investigation
- Comedy show to benefit unpaid employees of Wise Guys
- Tiger has 4 pound hairball removed
- Homes near sinkhole condemned