|Published:||Feb 11, 2012 3:35 PM EST|
|Updated:||Feb 11, 2012 3:35 PM EST|
WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. (AP) - A South Florida man has been sentenced to life in prison for fatally beating another man outside a Walmart.
A Palm Beach County judge sentenced 29-year-old John Wesley Henry on Friday. He was convicted in October of second-degree murder.
Prosecutors say Henry confronted Isaias Arroyo in May 2007, because Henry believed Arroyo had stolen from him. Witnesses said Henry hit Arroyo in the head multiple times with a bat. The Palm Beach Post (http://bit.ly/wzZYoY) reports that Arroyo died four days later.
During the trial, Henry's attorney had asked jurors to convict Henry of only third-degree murder, which has a maximum sentence of 15 years.
Henry was previously convicted of second-degree murder in 2009, but that conviction was overturned after an appeals court ruled the first jury received incorrect instructions.
- Three hospitalized after early morning Cape Coral crash
- Lee deputies searching for 7-Eleven robber
- Lee deputies investigating death on Bokeelia
- Fort Myers criminal defense attorney commits suicide
- Charlotte County deputies investigate shooting at a party
- Fort Myers Beach Shrimp festival happening this weekend
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge