|Published:||Dec 21, 2011 5:01 PM EST|
|Updated:||Dec 21, 2011 5:01 PM EST|
LAKELAND, Fla. (AP) - Officials say a central Florida police officer who was shot in the head earlier this week has died.
Lakeland police spokeswoman Ann Dinges says 25-year-old Arnulfo Crispin died Wednesday morning at a Lakeland hospital.
Crispin was shot late Sunday after approaching five young men in a Lakeland park. Authorities say the shooting happened as he was patting down one of the men for weapons.
Authorities have charged 19-year-old Kyle Williams. He is being held without bail at the Polk County Jail.
On Tuesday, police found a semi-automatic handgun in a crawl space outside the apartment complex where Crispin was shot. The gun is being sent to a crime lab for testing.
- Woman takes wallet left at Walmart, uses debit card
- Annual 'Red, White & BOOM!' celebration comes to an end
- Redmond: Man charged with spreading HIV wants case dropped
- Mother accused of doing 'whippets' while baby was present
- A feud between fire and EMS could soon come to an end
- Caretaker allegedly takes more than $11,300 from victim
- Lee County school board votes to make school day longer
- G. Weaver Hipps Elementary collects supplies for foster kids
- 'Magic' Johnson to speak at Quality Life Center fundraiser
- Four Lee County Schools will have extended hours in January