|Published:||Nov 20, 2011 6:40 PM EST|
|Updated:||Nov 21, 2011 4:33 AM EST|
FORT MYERS, Fla. - An Occupy Fort Myers participant faces felony charges after threatening to bomb the Fort Myers Police Department.
Ryan Komosinski, 22, of Cape Coral, is the second local Occupy protester to be arrested in a week.
According to Fort Myers Police, an anonymous tipster told them Komosinski had posted on Facebook "I'm bombing FMPD, (Expletive) them."
Police say there were also several derogatory comments written about Lee County Sheriff Mike Scott.
Komosinski confessed to writing the threat, but police did not find any other evidence suggesting he planned to carry it out.
Members of the Occupy Fort Myers camp say Komosinski's statements do not represent their movement.
"He said something very unfortunate, something we don't agree with -- we don't condone. It's not who we are," says protester Matthew McDowell.
McDowell says Komosinski hadn't stayed at their camp long, but most don't believe the threats were legitimate. Many members think it was misdirected anger over Thursday night's arrest of fellow Occupier Constance Galati.
Galati was arrested in Centennial Park after arguing with police officers when they instructed her to leave the park after it closed.
The group says her arrest, and now Komosinski's, only further drive home the feeling that law enforcement is scrutinizing their every move.
"All this does really is keep exposing what they're doing, how they're doing it, and really for us to highlight how our first amendment rights are being block,"
Jail records show Komosinski was released from the Lee County Jail Sunday afternoon. WINK News tried to reach him at home and was told he would not be commenting on the charges.
- Cape city workers find small mobile meth lab in the woods
- Cab driver saves family from mobile home fire
- Boil water notice in effect after N. Ft. Myers main break
- Officials: 35 pilot whales moving in deeper water
- Attorney: Winston relieved no charges in sex case
- FMPD arrests 3 teenaged vehicle burglary suspects
- A song from behind bars: An unlikely story
- EXCLUSIVE: LeeTran driver speaks after possible bus shooting
- Fla. man charged in boy death eyed in 2nd killing
- Owner tracks stolen boat to Mexico