Published: Nov 04, 2011 3:51 AM EDT
Updated: Nov 04, 2011 6:54 AM EDT

CAPE CORAL, Fla. - After a week on the run, Garrett Kern is in custody in Chicago. He was Southwest Florida's most wanted man, and faces extradition back here to Florida.

Kern, wanted in connection to his 80 year-old step-grandfather James Arthur's disappearance, was captured outside the Pacific Garden Mission, a religious shelter on the South Side of Chicago. It's where police say he'd been hiding out.

"We are going to question him and find out what he knows," Cape Coral Police Lt. Anthony Sizemore said.

When Kern left the shelter to go to the store Thursday, police confronted him., asked for his name, and he answered with "Garrett Kern." That's when he was taken into custody without any problems.  

Greg Geffe works next door to Hustlers in Cape Coral, the last place Kern was seen before leaving Southwest Florida.

"I was kind of shocked that I came face-to-face with somebody who could have killed someone," Geffe said.

Hours before skipping town, Kern was caught on surveillance video with James Arthur, the last time Arthur was seen. Geffe hopes Kern's arrest puts the puzzle pieces into place.

"He did wrong so he needs to be punished," Geffe said.

When Kern will return to Florida is unknown. Cape Coral Police say there are issues with extradition. Right now, Kern is being held on a warrant for Grand Theft Auto. Police say his capture came down to old fashioned police work.

"They've been receiving leads and working on narrowing them down to a small area and just old fashioned, feet on the pavement beating the bushes, and it payed off," Sizemore said.

Late Thursday night, police announced that they believe they found the body of James Arthur, off of Old Burnt Store Road in Cape Coral.  But right now they can not say with 100% certainty that it is him.

At this point, we don't know what role - if any - Garrett Kern had in his step grandfather's death.  Trust WINK News for the breaking details as we get them.