FORT MYERS, Fla.- The tents and protesters are gone, but Centennial Park will be buzzing again very soon. Set-up for the Taste of the Town is in the beginning stages now that the Occupy Fort Myers movement has moved a few blocks away.
For now, the Occupy Fort Myers movement has moved to the front of the old Lee County courthouse.
The Junior League of Fort Myers' Taste of the Town event will go on as planned and organizers say they never had any doubt the event would happen.
"We knew that the event would go on," said Junior League of Fort Myers President Carolyn Baker-McCord. "We pulled a permit last year. We have an agreement with the city every year. The day that our event is over, we automatically talk with the city to pull that permit and pay for it and it's on file."
City workers are already putting barricades in place in anticipation of this weekend's event. The Junior League is ready to start set-up at the park early Friday morning.
"They voluntarily moved," Baker-McCord said of the protesters. "We are moving forward with our event and we will start setting up Friday at 8 o'clock to put this event on."
The Occupy protesters packed up their tents Wednesday night around 10:30. In exchange for clearing out in time for Taste of the Town, the city agreed to offer the group a permit starting Monday. They'll have to re-apply for the permit every ten days.
WINK is still waiting to find out a federal judge's decision on whether or not the citations written to the Occupy Fort Myers protesters are unconstitutional.