LEE COUNTY, Fla. -- People in a Lehigh Acres neighborhood are praising a mystery hero they say saved a man from his burning home Sunday morning.
The fire destroyed the house at 325 Morgan Circle N., but neighbors think the damage could have been much worse without the Good Samaritan.
"I really have no idea where the gentleman came from, but he was an angel. That's for sure," says Aida Vazquez, who lives next door to the home that caught fire.
Vazquez says she was woken up around 3 a.m. by a stranger pounding on her door. When she looked outside, she saw her neighbor's home on fire.
"The flames were quite high. There was a lot of fire," she says.
She says firefighters arrived on scene moments later and found the man who was living in the home outside on the lawn.
"He was completely unconscious when we came out. He was just laying on the floor like he was sleeping or something. He doesn't remember anything," Vazquez says.
Vazquez says she was shocked to learn later the unknown man who woke her up had also gone into the burning home to pull her neighbor out.
She considers the mystery man's actions heroic and wants to thank him, not just for saving her neighbor, but also for trying to let others know what was going on.
"Everybody's thrilled. Who is he? Where is he? Nobody knows," Vazquez says.
Neighbors have a few guesses, and are certain the man lives in the neighborhood, but they're hoping he will come forward and receive his due praise.
Fire officials say the homeowner was taken to the hospital and treated for smoke inhalation. The house is a total loss.