|Published:||Sep 19, 2011 11:25 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Sep 19, 2011 10:52 PM EDT|
LEE COUNTY, Fla.- Lee County Sheriff's deputies made a major bust in a string of Best Buy burglaries in South Florida.
Three different Best Buy locations have been broken into since the beginning of September, with more than $125,000 in merchandise stolen. Lee County Sheriff's Office says they have reason to believe the burglaries are related.
"Certainly the method that they're using to break into the store, the types of items they're stealing are all very much the same," Lt. Larry King of the Lee County Sheriff's Office said.
Since early September, Best Buy locations in Bradenton, Coconut Point, and Sunday night-- Page Field, were all burglarized. Surveillance cameras at the Coconut Point store snapped the trio prying through the stores guard gates and taking off with dozens of iPads.
Lee County Sheriff's Office heightened patrols at Best Buy locations due to the alarming trend. Sunday night, a marked patrol noticed a U-Haul truck parked at the rear loading dock of the Page Field location. The truck was filled with Apple and HP laptops, along with tools investigators believe were used to break into the store.
Two suspects, Carlos Fernandez Ventura and Dairan Marrera Pena, took off on foot after they spotted deputies. A K-9 unit and Taser were used to catch the two suspects.
Investigators say a third suspect,Yoendri Estevez, was acting as the watchdog for the group. All three men are from Miami, and were arrested on charges of burglary and grand theft.
"Everything that we see in this particular case would lead us to believe that it's very likely that they're part of an organized effort to commit these types of crimes across the state," Lt. King said Monday.
Lee County Sheriff's Office is currently continuing their investigation to determine whether the three are responsible for other Best Buy burglaries.
- LCSO searches for missing Fort Myers teen
- Charlotte County roofer gets help for dog with a broken leg
- CCSO IDs Golden Gate Estates murder victim, makes arrest
- Fort Myers Police investigating shooting.
- Ann Coulter, Sean Hannity to visit Ft. Myers
- Driver dies after crashing into Cape Coral home
- Cape Coral man accused of killing wife appears in court
- Good Samaritans return envelope with $1,500
- Yankee Candle recalls product due to risk of fire
- Free bee removal for a woman after a year of heartache