GAINESVILLE, Fla. (AP) - Authorities say a woman lost three fingers when she tried to wake her boyfriend up with fireworks left over from the Fourth of July.
The Gainesville Sun reports that the 36-year-old woman and the boyfriend told police they had been drinking early Sunday morning before she was injured by the blast.
The woman told police she had been holding the firework - left over from the summer holiday - and was planning to throw it out the front door. But the device detonated before she could toss it, taking her thumb and two fingers in the explosion.
Police say the blast caused a piece of bone to become stuck in the ceiling.
The woman was taken to a hospital. Authorities had no immediate update on her condition.