Published: Jul 29, 2011 5:26 PM EDT
Updated: Jul 29, 2011 4:26 PM EDT

ROTONDA WEST, Fla.- Two Charlotte County Sheriff's deputies were credited with saving an 86-year-old woman’s life in Rotonda from carbon monoxide poisoning Thursday evening.

CCSO received a call at 8:54 p.m. fromElaine Sampson of 213 Albatross Road, who told the operator she smelled fumes in her home, had fallen, and couldn’t get up. She did manage to crawl to the telephone and called 9-1-1. CCSO 9-1-1 operatorKari Thompson kept her on the line as deputies were rushing to her home. The Thompson reported Sampson was very confused and disoriented, but kept talking to the elderly woman.

Upon arrival at 9:01 p.m., deputies were successful in gaining entry through the back door. They located Sampson on the floor; she was semi-unconscious. The two deputies, DFC Scott Sarver and DFC Paul Cignarale helped the woman up but she said she was going to pass out. Deputies put her into a chair and carried her out of the home in the chair to fresh air. Englewood Fire/EMS arrived and took Sampson to Englewood Community Hospital where she was admitted for carbon monoxide poisoning.

Deputies said Sampson went to the store and upon returning home, she forgot to turn off the ignition to her car parked in the garage. She had also used bug spray in her home and a combination with the car fumes caused the problem.

EFD Firefighters/EMS on scene advised that, “Had it not been for the quick actions of DFC Sarver and DFC Cignarale by making quick entry into her home, Mrs. Sampson would not have survived another five minutes.”